Mundine admits Geale wanted it more


Summary

Anthony Mundine lost against Daniel Geale earlier this year. Photo: brendan esposito\nAnthony Mundine has admitted he didn’t have the “eye of the tiger” in his loss to Daniel Geale and still dreams of booking a date with Floyd Mayweather before the superstar American retires from the sport.
Nanjing Night Net

After a dominant display against Canelo Alvarez on the weekend, Mayweather has slated four fights over a 24 month period as part of his exit strategy from boxing. Potential opponents include Danny Garcia, Amir Khan, Manny Pacquiao and Adrian Broner.

Despite his loss to Geale, Mundine still covets a meeting with Mayweather and at 38, wants to add his name to the list. His road back begins with ageing great Shane Mosley on October 23 in Sydney.

Mundine is treating every fight as his last at the moment and said there were no second chances for him at this late stage of his career. Should he beat Mosley, he believes more doors will open.

“My exit strategy is to try and get to Floyd Mayweather within those four fights. I’ve got plenty of time. All I need to do is get past Mosley. If I do that, I know there will be massive offers,” Mundine said.

“(US promoter) 50 Cent has already spoken about future events. But I have to get past Mosley and that’s all I’m worried about.”

Mosley is 42 and many boxing fans believe he is well past his prime. But he managed a win over Mexican Pablo Cesar Cano in May to break a streak of losses to Mayweather, Pacquiao and Alvarez.

Potentially more concerning for Mundine is the lack of will to win he believes he showed in his unanimous points loss to Geale in January. Mundine still believes the scores should have been much tighter but admits Geale was the hungrier fighter.

“Initially I was disappointed. I knew it was a close fight but when I look back and watch the video, he probably wanted it a lot more than me. That was disappointing for me,” Mundine said.

“Normally I have that eye of the tiger, that will to win is stronger than my opponent. If I did have that, like he did, I don’t reckon he would have gone 12 rounds with me because at times, it felt easy.”

Some introspection and the prospect of an upcoming fight has Mundine believing the fire in the belly has returned in time to host Mosley, who Mundine believes remains a dangerous customer despite his years.

“Definitely, it’s back. I can feel it. Because I’m at a stage in my career where it’s kill or be killed for me. It’s like a sudden death footy final. I know if I don’t get up and perform I’m out the door,” Mundine said.

“And I don’t want that to happen. I still have big dreams and I know I can match it with the best in the world.”

Mundine is in Brisbane and will be at the launch of the Brisbane Sports Performance Centre at Kangaroo Point on Saturday night.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Anthony Mundine lost against Daniel Geale earlier this year. Photo: brendan esposito\nAnthony Mundine has admitted he didn’t have the “eye of the tiger” in his loss to Daniel Geale and still dreams of booking a date with Floyd Mayweather before the superstar American retires from the sport.
Nanjing Night Net

After a dominant display against Canelo Alvarez on the weekend, Mayweather has slated four fights over a 24 month period as part of his exit strategy from boxing. Potential opponents include Danny Garcia, Amir Khan, Manny Pacquiao and Adrian Broner.

Despite his loss to Geale, Mundine still covets a meeting with Mayweather and at 38, wants to add his name to the list. His road back begins with ageing great Shane Mosley on October 23 in Sydney.

Mundine is treating every fight as his last at the moment and said there were no second chances for him at this late stage of his career. Should he beat Mosley, he believes more doors will open.

“My exit strategy is to try and get to Floyd Mayweather within those four fights. I’ve got plenty of time. All I need to do is get past Mosley. If I do that, I know there will be massive offers,” Mundine said.

“(US promoter) 50 Cent has already spoken about future events. But I have to get past Mosley and that’s all I’m worried about.”

Mosley is 42 and many boxing fans believe he is well past his prime. But he managed a win over Mexican Pablo Cesar Cano in May to break a streak of losses to Mayweather, Pacquiao and Alvarez.

Potentially more concerning for Mundine is the lack of will to win he believes he showed in his unanimous points loss to Geale in January. Mundine still believes the scores should have been much tighter but admits Geale was the hungrier fighter.

“Initially I was disappointed. I knew it was a close fight but when I look back and watch the video, he probably wanted it a lot more than me. That was disappointing for me,” Mundine said.

“Normally I have that eye of the tiger, that will to win is stronger than my opponent. If I did have that, like he did, I don’t reckon he would have gone 12 rounds with me because at times, it felt easy.”

Some introspection and the prospect of an upcoming fight has Mundine believing the fire in the belly has returned in time to host Mosley, who Mundine believes remains a dangerous customer despite his years.

“Definitely, it’s back. I can feel it. Because I’m at a stage in my career where it’s kill or be killed for me. It’s like a sudden death footy final. I know if I don’t get up and perform I’m out the door,” Mundine said.

“And I don’t want that to happen. I still have big dreams and I know I can match it with the best in the world.”

Mundine is in Brisbane and will be at the launch of the Brisbane Sports Performance Centre at Kangaroo Point on Saturday night.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.